Over 100 billion bananas are consumed across the world each year and in the United States the average person consumes 27 pounds of bananas a year. That’s a lot of banana peels being thrown in the trash, and ultimately dumped into landfills. The next time you eat a banana, consider using the peels in one of these surprising ways before tossing them in the trash.
1. Wart remover – banana’s are stocked with potassium, and so are the peels. If you rub the inside of a banana peel on a wart continuously each evening for one to two weeks, the potassium will eventually make the wart disappear.
2. Teeth whitener – the potassium and magnesium found in banana peels serve as a natural tooth whitener. Simply rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for around two minutes then gargle with salt water each night and you will see results in a couple of weeks.
3. Headache cure – the next time you get a headache, try rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your forehead and the pain should begin to subside.
4. Rash reliever – rub the inside of a banana peel over a rash or bug bite to soothe the itch and help it heal faster. This also works well for relieve from psoriasis.
5. Meat tenderizer – no one likes tough and dry meat, so to make sure your meat stays moist and juicy toss a banana peel into the roasting pan the next time you cook.
6. Silver polish – put a banana peel and some water in a blender and mix together to create a paste. Use the paste to polish tarnished silver and make it shiny again.
7. Plant food – soak a banana peel in water, then add more water to the banana water and use to fertilize plants.
8. Bruise healer – Rub the inside of a banana peel over a bruise to help it heal faster. For even faster healing, tape the peel against the bruise over night.
9. Wrinkle reducer – rub the inside of a banana peel against wrinkles to help reduce their appearance and help prevent future ones from forming.
10. Acne treatment – to help treat acne, rub the inside of a banana peel against the blemishes for around 10 minutes. Don’t wash your face afterwards as the healing powers found in the banana will continue to work overnight.