For day 16 I decided to try a recipe from one of the many cookbooks sitting in my kitchen. I realized that I have been perusing the internet for recipes while I have a ton of cookbooks that I have picked up over the years that are chock full of recipes just begging to be made. So I have decided to spend the second half of my cooking journey taking advantage of the recipes that have been at my fingertips all along.
I found this recipe in my Campbell’s Casseroles and One-Dish Meals cookbook. It is one of those books that I bought for a school fundraiser and then sat on my shelf never to be touched again. But it actually holds a lot of easy meals that seem worth trying are pretty simple. To make this recipe even easier, I used canned chicken.
- 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 package corn muffin mix (8 oz)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix Cream of Chicken soup, corn, and chicken together in 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine muffin mix, milk, and egg. Pour cornbread mixture over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with cheese.
- The use of canned chicken makes this a no fuss weeknight meal.
- Cooked turkey can be substituted for chicken.
- Peas and carrots are a good optional add-in.