Sure, olive oil is great for cooking, but it is also great for everyday uses around the house, and even as a part of your beauty regiment. In fact, there are many beauty uses for olive oil. There are uses of olive oil for hair and uses of olive oil for skin. Who knew? Not me, and I assumed you didn’t either, so I compiled a list of unique uses for olive oil:
- Lip balm: mix equal amounts of olive oil and melted beeswax and smear on to relief dry and chap lips.
- Moisturizer: combine sea salt or sugar with olive oil and rub on skin. You will be left with soft, moisturized skin that gives off a healthy glow.
- Homemade soap: mix equal parts olive oil and saved fat and you will be the proud owner of your very own homemade soap!
- Snoring remedy: a sip of olive oil before bed makes the throat slippery, which helps reduce snoring.
- Cough remedy: a sip of olive oil helps sooth that annoying tickle at the back of your throat.
- Bath oil: add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a warm bath and enjoy!
- Skin exfoliator: scrub skin with a mixture of olive oil and sugar and it will be left soft and shiny.
- Floor cleaner: for an inexpensive, yet effective, floor cleaner mix 3 parts olive oil and 1 part white vinegar and mop away!
- Brass cleaner: buff brass with olive oil and not only will it be left nice and shiny, it will also keep it from tarnishing as fast.
- Lice treatment: yeah, lice is gross, but it happens and when it does, olive oil can help. Massage olive oil into hair, being sure to get the scalp good. Leave on for at least 30 minutes and then shampoo out. Once you are lice free, use once a week as a preventative.
- Earache remedy: all it takes is a few drops of olive oil to soothe an earache and loosen built up ear wax.
- Sink cleaner: putting a small amount of olive oil on a rag and cleaning your sink with it will make your sink look shiny and new, and the olive oil also helps prevent water stains from forming!
- Hair conditioner: apply a small amount of olive oil to dry hair for shiny, healthy hair.
- Foot cream: massage a little extra virgin olive oil on your feet before going to sleep and wear socks to bed. The olive oil will help soften dry and cracked feet.
- Furniture polish: mix 2 parts olive oil and 1 part lemon juice or white vinegar, wipe with a rag, and enjoy the shine!
There are so many great uses for olive oil! In fact, I have even more olive oil secrets (15 more, to be exact!). Check them out in 30 Everyday Uses For Olive Oil Part 2.
Know a useful olive oil fact that I missed? Share it in the comment section below!